Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Chemo update 27 Dec

"Stop the World! I want to get off!" That is what I told the doctor today in our usual two-week check-up. He said that he couldn't stop the world, but he could stop the chemo if that is what I wanted. We talked about the fact that in the minds of most oncologists, one gets most of the benefits of the chemo after 4 weeks, but the 6 week prescription is made out of the belief and some scientific studies confirm that one's chances are enhanced with a 6 week program, but further treatment does not seem to be warranted.

He made some suggestions that might alleviate some of the after-effects of the chemo, but would not promise that everything will be just fine.

He looked at the "labs" (results of blood tests), and indicated that everything is looking really good, in fact, better than he expected for such an old grumpy guy such as myself. (Basically implying that I had no grounds to be complaining). So he, the nurses and Mom shamed me into trying at least one more week, He agreed to see me in a week, rather than the usual two, just to see if I had "manned-up" enough to run the race, complete the course, finish the fight. (Of course, that is not what was said . . . but there were lines between which one could read.)

So, come Friday and days thereafter, there will likely be more complaining. I hope you all can take it.

Dad

1 comment:

  1. Martell, I am so filled with empathy for you as I read your words, and pray that the Lord will sustain you and bless you--and LaRue--for I know she suffers with you. My heart is overflowing with empathy and love. My prayers filled with faith will be with you. I have just finished my scripture study--read Moroni 7 about faith. That is my prayer.

    ReplyDelete