I have made a bunch of bad decisions in my life.
When I was about eight years old, we were living in Denver, Colorado, and
I got a fishing pole for my birthday. When the weather was warm enough,
Mom took me and maybe some other kids to the city park where some kids have
gone to fish. I put some bait on the hook, tossed it in and then set the
pole down and went off doing something else. When I came back, my knee
hit the pole and knocked it into the lake. I made up a story about seeing
a big fish grab the bait, hook, line, sinker and pole and swim away. That
is the story I told everyone including my dad. But Mom knew the truth
because she was there and saw the whole thing. Bad decision.
One time when I had just returned from Ricks
College with an intramural championship in wrestling under my belt, I was
bragging about it and chose to demonstrate on my dad. He was heavier than
I thought and in my take-down maneuver I did not lift him high enough and heard
a snap. I think he suffered with ankle problems the rest of his life.
Bad decision.
One time when I was dating LaRue, her folks bought
the two of us $100 a plate dinners for a fund raiser for a new church building.
I was tired so I took a nap while LaRue and her grandma were getting ready.
When they woke me up to go, I decided to continue my nap. Bad
decision. I don't think they ever forgave me for that one. Then
there was the time . . . well, maybe these three examples are adequate
representatives of the myriad of my bad decisions and are enough to show what a
proud, self-centered person I am.
On the other hand, I have been lucky enough to have
made a few good decisions. The first one was deciding to be born. As
William Wordsworth said in his poem "Intimations of Immortality"
Our birth is but a sleep and a
forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us,
our life’s Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do
we come
From God, who is our home.
I don't remember much about it, but I truly
appreciate the opportunities that decision has brought me.
One of the best decisions has got to be the
decision to follow the teachings of my parents and of The Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter-Day Saints, because more than anything else that has helped me
become who I am.
Another was to turn down the scholarship at the
University of Wyoming and accept a lesser valued one to Ricks College, for it
was there that I made the best decision of my mortal life. It was easy
and at the same time difficult. I knew that I wanted to go on a mission,
but I also wanted to capture the girl I wanted to be the mother of my children,
and with whom I wanted to spend the rest of my life. I knew that she was the
one for me, but was I the one for her? Would she really want to take
herself out of the social circle for two, maybe three years? I did not
want just some kind of a friendly agreement. I wanted a commitment. At minimum,
an engagement. At last I figured that if I asked, she could turn me down
. . . so I left the decision to her. If she accepted, I was in fat city.
If she would turn me down, I would shoot myself. Just kidding.
No, it was not that bad, but I did leave it to her, hoping that she
understood the commitment she was making, so that she would not break it later
on. Well things went well for me, and it was difficult for her to get
through the next three and one-half years, but we did it and 54 years later I
am still the happiest, luckiest guy on the planet.
<This is Martell's daughter, Karen. Dad could not finish this post
because of his emotions. He loves Mom very much, and does not want to leave
her. He loves his family, and has been surrounded by them. Only because of the
restored gospel, and the knowledge we have of the Plan of Salvation, can we
face these extremely difficult times with faith. We trust in our Savior, and
submit our will to God's.>
This is a lovely commentary on life's passages. We have all had them. Martel and I were comrades in the band and antagonists on the wrestling mat, but good friends elsewhere. Through it all we became more "pals" than one would imagine. I treasure that relationship. I will not disclose the false steps that we endured separately or together. That is for God to review, if he choses to do so. Suffice it to say that the total picture is one of a good life, lived for His glory, and a credit to the Gee legacy.
ReplyDeleteI am moved at your post, and the ending of it written by Karen. What moving, emotional times you are all having. What a beautiful example you are in your expressions of great gratitude for the experiences of this life. I feel your great purity of heart and soul, your readiness spiritually to take this next step, but your great emotions in the separation which will happen because of your deep love for your family. Without the closeness of the Spirit, the expressions of astonishing love which come almost miraculously from our loving Father, and the knowledge of both the purpose of mortality and what lies ahead, it would be near impossible to face. I remember Clyn during his afflictions saying so many times that he wanted to do everything "right." I observe that you are. Know of my earnest prayers for you all. I know your spirit is very sensitive to communications from the Holy Ghost and that this is a time of great spirituality for you all, a time to feel the Lord's love and to make plans together for the time apart. I send my love and prayers to you all. I cherish, more than I can find words to express, being an eternal part of the Barrus family.
ReplyDeleteI liked Martel. He made a lot of good decisions when I worked with him. He is a man that I respected. He did what he felt was right even when he annoyed others who would not. His words were never varnished. They were what he felt and what he knew to be true. I am thankful for the opportunity to have known him as I have tried to do the same.
ReplyDelete