My last post got us through Saturday (more or less). Well,
Saturday afternoon or so I discovered a new pain. This was a very sharp
pain under my lower ribs on the right side. It depended on how I moved,
and never really went away, but was much sharper and more intense after a quick
movement. It was also more intense if I tried to breath deeply.
This did not seem to be affected by any of the known pain killers.
It did not let up much on Sunday, so I only stayed for the first part. By
dinnertime I had taken enough pain killers to get me through a nice dinner with
some friends. However, Monday morning I was ready for the loony bin, or someplace
equally pleasant. I called the nurse in Dr. Grossmann's office and told
her my troubles. She got me in to the acute care facility right away. We then
went through a bunch of tests that assured me that I was ready for the
radiation that I would be getting later that day or early Tuesday, and they
decided to add that spot in my ribs to the treatment plan. We also learned that this new pain was coming
from a broken rib. I don’t recall
breaking a rib lately, but the Doctor said the bones are so full of lesions
that she was not surprised. They also
gave me an IV dose of something pretty strong, because the rest of the day went
pretty well. I was aware of everything
that was going on, but relatively pain-free.
We then went to the appointment we had with Dr. Hitchcock to get fitted
for the single treatment of radiation on each of three spots: my right knee, my left hip, and the right
lung/rib area. The body art experts had
a hay-day. Boxes, circles, odd shaped figures
here and there, but no tattoos. Instead
they taped little bee-bees in the places where on a better day they would have
made a tattoo. If they explained the change, I did not catch it. Just chalk it up to advances in medicine.
Our interview with Dr. Hitchcock was more revealing than we
expected. We had read a copy of the PET
scan report and thought we understood it.
But we were not quite prepared for Dr. Hitchcock’s seemingly off-hand
comment that the liver is “riddled” with lesions, the lungs are completely
lined with them, and the bones have been seriously compromised by all the
little fellers that have come to stay.
She said that it was time for Hospice.
On our way home, I called my sister, Rosemary, who runs a Hospice
facility, and asked for an appointment.
She would be at the house at 4:00 pm.
Kristin was going to come up about that time, and Kim had mentioned that
she wanted to come see us, so it looked like they would be there when Rosemary
explained about Hospice. Not wanting any
of the family to feel left out of what might turn out to be something
important, we called the rest of the kids to let them know what was happening,
and that they could come if they wanted.
All of this was happening on our 54th wedding anniversary! With both of us being quite private people
our plans for the rest of the day had been to have a quiet evening at
home. That clearly was going to change
with the meeting with Rosemary and who knows what else after that. The meeting with Rosemary went well, and she
explained all that Hospice could do for us, and how it all works. The kids had some questions, and then
Rosemary left. Soon thereafter, LaRue and
Kristin went over to pick up a walker and a wheelchair from my brother, but
most of the other kids just hung around.
They were busy doing something, but I did not pay much attention; I was
kind of tired. By the time LaRue got
back the dinner table was set in elegant fashion, and food was arriving from
the Mandarin, which included LaRue’s favorite entrée, Almond chicken. I have enjoyed the Five Taste Shrimp, as have
others in the group. To this was added
some other stuff, including some Indian dishes that Karen had brought and we
had a real feast. Our quiet evening had
turned into a mini-celebration. They
asked questions about how we met, and some of our early days together. It was a really wonderful time.
Tuesday we did the radiation, and had our exit interview with Dr.
Grossmann. Again, he thought we have about 6 weeks and
described the end state as just gradually slowing down, sleeping more, more and
more pain accompanied by stronger and stronger pain killers until I just don’t
wake up at some point. That doesn’t
sound like a bad way to go. One can
think of a lot worse. In the meantime, I expect that there will plenty of
opportunity to visit with whomever comes our way. I think the blogs will decrease; there won’t
be any exciting tattooing or body art experiences to report. Nor any cruises. But any posted comments that need a reply
will be responded to as best I can. If
you have difficulty posting a comment please let me know (geemj@geenet.org). The settings are supposed to allow anyone who
can read the blog to be able to post a comment . . . so if that is not
happening, please send an e-mail. You
may need to log-in to your Google account, but it should work.
Now to go on with the week, Wednesday was New Year’s Day. The kids planned a nice dinner, and they
were all here, even Norman, who had come from Colorado. We had a wonderful afternoon. The highlight was when they gathered and we
sang many songs. It concluded with the
girls singing a beautiful hymn that has come to mean a lot to me.
There was not much to the rest of the week to report except for a
meeting with my replacement in the Church office building. This did not go very well. I got quite tired, and had to cut things
short, but I think I got his major questions answered.
This has been an interesting ride.
Thanks for coming along. Know
that I still am the kind of guy that looks forward rather than back. And I
continue to do so. So this has been
difficult to try and share past events, even those in the very near past. But I had promised to keep folks posted, and
this seemed like the best way to do it.
I have come to recognize the Lord’s hand in my life, and I know that He
loves His children, which includes you as well as me. I continue to feel the effect on my life of
many prayers, and I deeply appreciate them.
Without them, I would not be here now.
The season we have just passed through has had a significant impact on
my life. I feel that I have come to
understand the atonement of Christ a little better, and to recognize it as the
most important event in the history of the world. A significant part of the
atonement is the concept of agency with its twin offspring: choice and
consequence. I have also gained a
deeper appreciation for the richness of the experiences the Lord provided for
His children in the process of the creation of the world. Just think about it: isn’t this a remarkable
place? Such variety! Such beauty! Such
opportunity! Yeah, I know that some of
His bratty kids have tried to mess things up in every possible way, and have in
part succeeded, but there is something we can do to help His work along, and
one day things will be put right. I pray
that day comes sooner rather than later.
I feel bad that many things I
wanted to do will now go undone and I hate leaving behind my extraordinary
wife, who has been with me through thick and thin, and who has made my whole
adult life a wonderful experience. She
must now carry on alone. I pray the
Lord’s blessings and your prayers will be with her. I also hate leaving my family and friends,
but I admit that I am looking forward to Chapter 6. I probably won’t be writing about it,
however.
Earlier today we talked about being frank and I want to thank you for being frank (and humorous) through this whole process. You have taught me so much about being patient through adversity and pain, aligning your will with our Father in Heaven's. I hope to prove equal to your example. Your testimony of our Savior helps buoy mine as I contemplate the time to come. I love you.
ReplyDeleteYou skipped right over your New Years Eve bash! After having your radiation treatment that day, you were kind enough to spend time with a few visitors. I really enjoyed playing Five Handed Rook with you, Mom, Norman and Louise. We partied on til 7 pm! :-)
ReplyDeleteEvery moment we get to spend with you is a treasure.
I love you, Dad.
Karen
I wish you could write about Chapter 6. It would be a wonderful read for the rest of us.
ReplyDeleteWe have enjoyed reading your blog, - not enjoyed knowing of the tough things you have gone, and are going, through, - but seeing your testimony and love for your family throughout all of it. We will be among the many who will continue to pray for your sweet wife for years to come.
- Cherie
Dear Martel,
ReplyDeleteI was completely disheartened by the rapid deterioration of your health as explained in your last post, but at the same time I was exhilarated by your witness, testimony and profession of faith. No doubt others have said it – let me join the chorus proclaiming that you are truly a remarkable man – one to be much admired.
You mentioned the family singing a favorite hymn but did not name it. Two of my favorites are attached with renditions by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Probably you know them. You can play them through your computer, or If you do not already have them downloaded on an ipad or mp3, please do so. I’m sure you will enjoy.
No matter what the message may be, I hope you will continue to write and keep us informed.
With deepest personal regards,
Jim
PS: I tried to send this to geemj@geenet.org but it was bounced back. That message had the two hymns attached - "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy" and "Abide With Me". I don't know how to attach them through this reply. No doubt you will find them with an Internet search. JMN
Jim,
DeleteThanks for your note and encouragement. Yes, I know those hymns and love them. I have them on my iPhone already, but thanks for thinking of me. The one I requested was a special three part (SSA) song "We Ever Pray for Thee" written original for one of our Church Presidents. But I loved the music, and the words seemed to come close to the situation.
p.s. Another hymn they sang to me was "Be Still, My Soul" . . . music by Jean Sibelius. Another favorite, and words not inappropriate. Very comforting.
DeleteDear President Gee,
ReplyDeleteWe met in Finland while you were serving there in the temple. I was visiting from Latvia with my husband. I served my mission in Finland. I found your blog a couple of months ago and I wanted to tell you that you are a wonderful man and thank you for your example for your never fading testimony. Noemi