So here I am with paper and pen in hand (so to speak) to provide an update.
After getting my blood drawn for the umpteenth time, the nurse came in the room and said that things looked good. We looked at the pictures, and to this untrained eye, it appeared that the tumors were smaller than before. She showed us the two or three that someone had taken time to measure. Some had shrunk by about 20%. Some even more. When the doctor came in the room, he was all smiles. The printed report written by someone paid to read these things said that they could detect no new tumors anywhere, and that all of the visible tumors had shrunk, verifying what the pictures seemed to be telling us as well. We talked a little about next steps; he said in essence,"if some is good, maybe a lot is better, so let's keep doing what we have been doing, and take some more pictures after two more cycles." That means basically two more months. Six more shots of carboplatin, 42 more days of everolimus with a week off in between.
So we started infusion again, and tonight I started my daily dose of round three of everolimus. There have been virtually no side effects, so it doesn't seem like a bad thing. Perhaps the most noticeable is that I seem to tire more quickly than three months ago, before all the lung stuff started. But then, I am older now, so maybe that explains it. I did have one funny little thing happen after the barium cocktail and the infused dye during the CT scan. About 2:00 am, I woke up with a chill. LaRue was sleeping there with no cover on; no blanket or sheet, just her pajamas. And I was freezing to death - shivering uncontrollably. This lasted for more than two hours. I heated up the rice bags some kind soul had made for us a while ago (Thanks, Winter) and after quite a while, I finally calmed down and went back to sleep. I woke up stiff - I think from all the shaking, but otherwise feeling fine. The doctor and nurse did not think it could be related to the medication . . . so I am at a loss. I just mention it for the record.
One more non-related observation: during the routine before the visit with the doctor, they took my blood pressure: 105/58. No hypertension here. The oxygen saturation level was 97%. So if the tumors are supposed to cut down my oxygen and slowly starve me to death from air hunger, they have a long way to go.
LaRue asked the doctor for a revised prognosis from the 4-6 months he gave us 4 months ago. He is now a little cautious, and just said that it looks like we have quite a bit more time than that, but would go no farther.
Again, I have to say that I am very grateful for the prayers and thoughts of so many wonderful people. And for the blessings of the Lord, who hears and answers prayers. Sometimes those answers do not come the way we want or hope, sometimes they do. What is the difference? I don't know. I just KNOW that He is there, and that He is in charge.
MJG
WOW, Martel, it was wonderful to read of these positive developments. Such encouraging news.
ReplyDeleteWe are so grateful for the good news. Faith and prayers are answered. Keep up the good work, and keep drinking that delicious drink.
ReplyDeleteWonderful news, Martel, and BP at 105/58 too! Keep on going on, for sure!
ReplyDeleteJMN
Wonderful news mate. Hope things continue to improve. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Drew & Ledly Tredrea (Australia)
ReplyDelete