When I was teaching Physics at BYU I told the kids that I was teaching them how to read. Some got offended. They thought they already knew how to read; they had been doing it since Second Grade. So I selected a particularly complicated sentence from near the back of the book and asked one of them to read it and tell me what it meant. Then they understood. Well, after receiving the full report in writing from Huntsman, I have to learn how to read all over again. A couple of examples: "The pancreas, adrenal glands and kidneys are normal." (That wasn't too hard to read, and carried a good message that should be shared.) Here is another more to my point: "There are 20-30 hyper-metabolic lytic foci within the osseous structures." Or how about this one: "New hepatic, splenic and lymph node metastases are present."
As I mentioned in the last post, this is summarized by saying that the size and number of tumors have increased, but there is more detail in the report, which if one could read, would provide more pertinent information. Notwithstanding the additional news provided by this report that the liver, spleen and lymph nodes have been invaded, the chemo literature (which is also hard to read) indicates that the prescribed pills have been successful in shrinking tumors in other patients. So I started taking the new pills yesterday. They are supposed to be mild in terms of side effects. Well, so far, so good. There is hope.
Also, since there has been no additional fluid build up in my left lung, we were able to get the catheter out. That is a nice Christmas present, and in a couple of days I will be bragging about my soaking hot bath. I can hardly wait.
I enjoy this time of year, even if it is cold and snowy. In fact, I think I could enjoy it even more if our family were to surround a palm tree nicely decorated with colored lights and all while we sing Christmas carols. But we are where we are and try to receive the marvelous blessings that constantly come our way. We rejoice that the season reminds the world that there truly is a God in Heaven and a living Savior who hears and answers prayers. My prayer for all of you is that you will have the peace in your hearts that comes only through the Savior and that you will be able to survive the ever-growing turmoil and evil that abounds in the world.
It was lovely to see you today and hear your testimony of the Savior and then to read a portion of your testimony here again. Thank you for your example and for remembering to say the important things. I am sad the cancer is spreading but am grateful the doctors have something to help. We keep you in our prayers and are so very grateful for your good days. Much love to you. -Kim
ReplyDelete