People see miracles when and where they want to, and even sometimes when they actuality exist. I will let you judge. In my last entry, I mentioned that the left lung filled up and caused some problems for my "quality of life." When the lung was drained of 2.2 liters, things were better for a time, but 11 days later it was time to drain it again (another 2.2 liters). 6 days after that it was time to drain another 1.6 liters. The very next day, and another 600 ml of fluid. Thanksgiving was a really good day - Family was here and it was fun to interact. Friday evening; we were told to drain every other day, so it was drain time again. No problem, we had two more drain kits - use one today, there is still another to get us through the week-end. And by then the additional 10 kits that Huntsman had ordered for us should be here. So, as I mentioned in the last blog, we got everything hooked up, and nothing except a dribble came out. Well, it was then a "wait and see" game to determine when the next drain time would be. However, in the process of doing the procedure, the remaining Procedure kit (bandages, etc) was also used. Still, no worries. More kits are on the way, and I am not feeling bad. We can get through the week-end just fine. Which we did. Monday came and went. No kits. On Tuesday or so, we got a call from the distributor saying that there was a problem with the insurance. We got that fixed, and waited. In the meantime, I am feeling OK, and not out of breath. Thursday, another call - more problems with the insurance, but this time it was really fixed. Still, I am feeling OK and have no breathing problems and no thinking problems (other than the usual). They promised that the kits should be here by Friday. Sure enough, the kits showed up, so all is well. I was still feeling good, maybe a little short of breath, but nothing serious, so we will deal with the draining tomorrow, if needed. Saturday morning I asked my doctor brother to come and thump my bones to determine if I needed to drain the lung. That is a procedure they learned in Med school many years ago, but no one uses that technique nowadays. They have their ultrasound, and x rays, and MRI's so they don't have to rely on good physical evidence and a doctor's skill. Anyway, he said that the lung is about half full, which pretty much agreed with how I was feeling. So it is time to drain again. But it was not convenient until later in the day so we put it off. When the time came to do the procedure, we opened the box and discovered that the "kits" contained only the vacuum bottles. No bandages, etc. By now it was too late to get any satisfaction from the distributor (who is in Ohio) and it is Saturday night so the Huntsman clinics are all closed. What to do? I called the Oncologist on Call and discussed the problem. He mentioned a few options, and then suggested the obvious: I could always go to the emergency room of the hospital if necessary - for a price, of course. We thought we would try and get through the week-end, with that as a back up plan. We got through Sunday pretty well, so Monday morning I called to find out what the deal was. The bottles and the procedure kits were shipped separately, and the bandage kits, having been caught in the bad weather, would arrive "today." And sure enough, they showed up about 4:00 pm. By this time, I was feeling that it should be time to drain, so we did. We stopped after getting 800 ml. and I am feeling better.
So we go from a situation where the lung is filling up at the rate of every 2-3 days, to over a week of inactivity when the resources are not available, and as soon as they are we start to fill up again. I call that interesting at the least. But some of us consider it much more than that and again, express great gratitude to God for his tender mercies to such as I.
Thank you for your notes about this last week. We are grateful you're doing OK and that you were able to attend Stake Conference. Mom said you were to get a new Stake Presidency? I'll be wanting to hear more when I see you next. Also she said that you'll have a scan today - is that right? We'll be wanting to know what the scan says, when you find out. Love you!
ReplyDeleteKim
I'm so glad to hear about your miracles! Thank you for sharing and strengthening my testimony of our Heavenly Father's involvement in our lives. I too know that he is aware of us and can and does intervene. We think of you often and pray you are both having a peaceful and joyful holiday season.
ReplyDeleteJennie