Carboplatin and Everolimus - part 3
We have completed three infusions, and I am about half-way through the third week of the daily pill routine. A few suspected side effects have started to appear. Curiously, the taste of things remains pretty much the same, except for sweet things. On Saturday, we were in Paris, Idaho about lunch time, so we stopped at the Paris Grill for a sandwich and a drink of water. Everything tasted like I expected. The hamburger was a little tough, but other than that, it was OK. The dill pickles were dilly, and the onion was very oniony. Actually, come to think of it, the pineapple on my Maui Burger was tasteless. Not pineappley at all. But our expectations were not really all that high for the place; we were hungry, and this was the only place in town, so I did not think much about the tasteless pineapple. Then, coming back from the burial of my younger brother, Glendon, in the Paris Cemetery, we stopped at the USU Aggie Ice Cream joint for a treat. The Raspberries and Cream cone that I got tasted really funny. Not at all like I expected. Not really metallic, but certainly not raspberriey. I asked LaRue to taste it and she thought it tasted like it should. On Sunday the Hawaiian haystacks that were prepared for the Welcome Home of grandson Taylor Miller tasted just fine. But the mango that I had as things were winding down was really blah. Again, I asked LaRue to taste it. Again, just fine. I wanted a second opinion, so both my daughter Karen and son-in-law Baxter agreed with her. I tried some more fruit with the same result. This strange taste is not something that will keep me from eating fruit, and I am not complaining . . . just reporting my experience.
Another suspected side-effect has popped up. Last week-end I noticed some pain in my kidneys, but it was quite short-lived, and happened only once at that time. Then, tonight is showed up a second time. Again, it was only for a short time, and has not re-occurred. But I think I will mention this to the doctor. This phenomenon seems to be linked with a diarrhea-like symptom. The bulletin that came with the medicine mentions the possibility of kidney damage, so I suppose it would be well to be cautious.
Other than those minor inconveniences, things are really going well - much better than I expected. For this, and for all the prayers and other blessings I am experiencing, I am very grateful.
Martell, as always, you have such a great, positive attitude. I admire it greatly.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing you soon.