Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Carboplatin and everolimus - Twins raised by something worse than a wolf.

The results of last Friday's CT scan were very encouraging.  The two biggest tumors that were the targets of the radiation are about half the size they were when radiation started.  So the goal of the radiation was met, maybe even exceeded.  Dr. Grossmann had a big smile on his face and said that he was delighted, and that it looks like the chemo might be effective as well.  I am not sure what the connection is, but we are now proceeding with the chemo. the Doctor wants to administer the drugs in 28 day cycles.  A cycle is as follows: three Wednesdays I get an IV of carboplatin and for 21 days I take a pill, then we get a week off of both.   After two cycles, some more pictures.  The current plan is to keep going for at least 4 more cycles.  As I write this, I am sitting here in the infusion room awaiting the CARBOPLATIN to start flowing.  This afternoon I will start taking the pill: Brand name: Afinator - generic name: EVEROLIMUS.

Another interesting result of the CT scan is that some of the other tumors appear to be the same size or smaller than when the PET scan was taken.  This is also encouraging.  It means that those other smaller tumors that were once thought to be fast growing have experienced no growth in the past two months.  Prayers have played a major role in this development.  Probably the herbs, spices, teas, essential oils, and what all have helped some as well.  I don't really care to experiment to find out which is the most effective;  there is no time for that.  So I will be grateful for all of the contributors to this good news, and hope that all the good things will continue.

I still feel fine, and have not noticed any symptoms so far.

It is now late afternoon.  My iPad ran out of juice in the infusion room before the IV bag of carboplatin did, so I had to quit.  After we got home it was time to eat and to prepare a Magic Mineral Broth, to make sure that I get all the nutrition I need while on Chemo.  This is now boiling away, getting vital vitamins and minerals, cancer inhibitors, and other nutrients from such things as leeks, kombu, allspice berries,  and sea salt.  Oh yes, it contains some of the more mundane elements such as onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, and yams. It really smells good.  If it tastes as good as it smells, it won't last long, and we will have to build a new batch of the stuff.

Now for EVEROLIMUS, the pill that I have to take every day for 21 days at the same time of day.  This is going to be hard to do, since my schedule is so varied.  some days I get to sleep in, other days I am up at 4:00 am.  This affects going to bed time as well . . .  We decided that 5:00 pm will be best, and I have started the process.   So far, no problems.  I made the mistake of reading the 12 page brochure that comes with the pills.  The list of possible side effects is quite lengthy, and I am supposed to call the nurse or the doctor if I notice any of them.  This is going to be fun.  I can just see me running to the kitchen and checking the symptom list every time I hiccup, or when I get a little catch in my get-along etc. to see if that is on the list of side-effects.

I am doing better that I deserve primarily because I have a wife and family and friends that are far better than I deserve, but I am very grateful for such blessings just the same.

MJG

1 comment:

  1. We, too, are most grateful for such encouraging news. We add our daily prays that it will continue. Enjoy that delicious menu!

    ReplyDelete