December 11, 2012
I just re-read my last post. In it I misspoke, so to speak. In Positron Emission Tomography, the radioactive nucleus (Fluorine 18 to be precise) emits a positron. But positrons do not live long in this world, because almost as soon as one is born, it sees an electron, and combines with it immediately and they both disappear producing two gamma rays, which go off in opposite directions. It is the gamma rays that are detected in the CT scanning equipment and provide information as to their origin. In this way it is possible to locate the tumors that absorbed the radioactive glucose.
So on Monday, I had the PET scan. I was given an infusion of the radioactive substance and made to sit quietly for about an hour. Couldn't read, couldn't play on my iPad, couldn't talk to anyone on the phone . . . so I napped. Then they put me in the scanner and ran me back and forth a few times. I was horizontal so the platinum weight in my eye did not function. I couldn't close my right eye like I could if I were vertical. It started to burn, but the nurse could not come in and tape it shut while the scan was going on. I was really glad I could still see when the scan was finally over.
We have an appointment with Dr. Grossman tomorrow. Hopefully we will learn the results and what the treatment recommendations are at that time.
No comments:
Post a Comment